Proper care and maintenance is important for your ALFA shoes to stay dry and neat over time, as dirt and moisture have less effect on well-maintained shoes. Here you will find a thorough introduction on how to take good care of your ALFA shoes.
With ALFA's textile maintenance kit you get all the products you need to take care of your shoes, so that you can enjoy your hiking experience, regardless of the weather, for many years to come
The insoles absorb a lot of moisture and dry faster when taken out of the shoes. They should therefore be removed after each trip so that the shoes are able to air out properly and dry up well. This is especially important to keep in mind during multi-day trips.
Cleaning your textile shoes
Never put away dirty shoes. If you are going to wash, brush or impregnate the shoes, you should also remove the laces so that you can reach the material underneath them. When the insoles and laces are removed, you can clean off the dirt on the outer material. Generally, brushing with the Alfa shoe brush for full grain leather and cleaning under running lukewarm water with some dish soap will be enough. For particularly dirty boots use the Alfa shoe cleaning spray, that effectively remove stains and dirt.
1. Remove any loose dirt with a damp cloth.
2. Shake the bottle and spray it evenly onto the shoes or boots.
3. Use a damp cloth to remove any excess product.
4. If necessary, rinse under running water or wipe with a damp cloth.
5. Repeat the steps if necessary. The outer material has more open pores after cleaning and will absorb water more easily. To prevent water absorption, impregnate your shoes after they have dried.
Drying your textile shoes
If you cleaned your shoes with water, they need to dry well before any further treatment. It's best to leave them out at room temperature for 24 hours. If you washed the inside, you can fill your shoes with newspaper for 30 minutes first to absorb the majority of the moisture. Your shoes do not withstand heat and we recommend not going above 37 degrees when drying your shoes. Never place your boots on a radiator, near the oven or any other heat source. The materials are easily damaged by excessive heat and can shrink and lose or change shape.
Impregnating your textile shoes
The ALFA Protection and Waterproofing Spray effectively impregnates and protects your shoes and boots from water and dirt. Our unique technology mimics nature's own chemistry, like a leaf that is water-repellent, and is biodegradable, kind to nature, and can be applied indoors. The product is PFC-free, and the bottle can also be recycled.
1. Clean your shoes.
2. Shake the bottle well.
3. Spray the impregnation all over the shoes or boots.
4. Wipe off any excess product with a cloth.
5. The shoes should dry for 24 hours before wearing again for maximum effect. With proper maintenance, the upper material becomes significantly less susceptible to dirt, tears and damages.
How often should I treat my shoes?
How often you have to impregnate the shoes depends on how much you wear them. If you see that the shoes begin to draw water (dark spots) at certain points, it is time for new impregnation.
Store your shoes in a dry and well-aired place, where it's not too hot. Never keep your wet shoes in damp rooms or in the car, to prevent mold, discolouration and, not least, bad odours. Do not store your boots on heated floors with underheating, as this dries out the rubber and shortens the lifespan of the sole, as well as making the soles lose their grip.